Saturday 20 July 2019

REVIEW || RUNEBINDER


Runebinder (The Runebinder Chronicles, #1)Title: Runebinder (#1)
Author: Alex R. Kahler
Genre: young adult, high fantasy
Summary:
Magic is risen.When magic returned to the world, it could have saved humanity, but greed and thirst for power caused mankind's downfall instead. Now once-human monsters called Howls prowl abandoned streets, their hunger guided by corrupt necromancers and the all-powerful Kin. Only Hunters have the power to fight back in the unending war, using the same magic that ended civilization in the first place.
But they are losing.
Tenn is a Hunter, resigned to fight even though hope is nearly lost. When he is singled out by a seductive Kin named Tomás and the enigmatic Hunter Jarrett, Tenn realizes he's become a pawn in a bigger game. One that could turn the tides of war. But if his mutinous magic and wayward heart get in the way, his power might not be used in favor of mankind.
If Tenn fails to play his part, it could cost him his friends, his life…and the entire world.
Plot:
The story for Runebinder had me a bit confused because there are so many questions that are left unanswered even at the end of the book. These, I hope, will be answered in a sequel but as it is; it was a bit weird to have some of these questions left entirely or somewhat open.
The rest of it is, in a way, a Chosen One story. Tenn is a magic-user who opens to Water and Earth. Magic users control their powers, their powers don't control them, but Water has been controlling Tenn at points which shouldn't be possible. Helped out by three people (Dreya, Devon & Jarrett) he has to get to safety. On the other side, there is Tomás; an incubus, who wants something from Tenn and will try to get it.

Characters:
Something about Runebinder's characters struck me. Tomás, immediately, became my favourite along with Devon and Dreya. The moment Tomás showed up, I leaned back in my seat thinking come and bring it. Every interaction he had with Tenn was so well-written, full of tension (if you catch my drift) and I felt as if the author really enjoyed writing this character.

Tenn sometimes came across as a little annoying. I can't quite put my finger on it, because I get that he has no control of his Sphere and that everything is just coming over him, but he came across as whiny at times.

The other character that I didn't entirely like was Jarrett, and I can't really say much about Jarrett because of spoilers, but there was too much left open about Jarrett that I hope the sequel will answer.
The best thing, however, about Runebinder is the diversity in the characters. In an interview, Alex Kahler said:
When I wrote Runebinder, I wanted to code queer—to write a world where the reader is brought to assume everyone is queer unless told differently. The protagonist Tenn never comes out. He never says “I identify as X” in order to make the friends or save the world or get the guy.
Though I felt like it could've been explored even better, there was so much in this book that is taking steps towards more diversity in fantasy novels.

Things I like:
  • the diversity
  • the magic and how it worked
  • Tomás was absolutely amazing, I loved him as a character
Things I don't like:
  • the world-building was a bit confusing (It took me a long time to realise it was set in a version of our world)
  • the romance between Tenn and one of the other characters felt a bit too soon
  • at times I didn't really like Tenn's character

Who I'd recommend it to:
Anyone who is looking for diverse books, especially in the fantasy genre, you should try this book out.

Rating:

Post a Comment

© The Bookish Hearth. Design by FCD.