Thursday 18 July 2019

REVIEW || RENEGADES


Renegades (Renegades, #1)Title: Renegades (#1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Science-fiction, young adult
Summary:
Secret Identities. Extraordinary Powers. She wants vengeance. He wants justice.The Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies—humans with extraordinary abilities—who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone...except the villains they once overthrew.
Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice—and in Nova. But Nova's allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both.



















Plot:
Renegades, honestly, isn't the most challenging story to follow. We have our Good and Evil, superheroes vs supervillains, as we usually do in a story that follows these kinds of events. In this book, it's the Renegades vs the Anarchists (not the most original names but honestly, I didn't mind it too much).

We have our two main leads, Nova and Adrian. I'm going to be comparing this storyline to Romeo and Juliet quite a lot because, well, two people from opposite sides end up falling in love and it causes a lot of issues for the both of them as no one can find out.
The entire story, I was waiting for a specific event to happen. We, as readers, know that Nova is bad and Adrian is good. Now, I'm not going to spoil what happens in the end, but what I was expecting never happened, and honestly, I'm glad it didn't. Instead what I got was a twist I didn't really see coming.
However, the story itself didn't lend itself to a lot of new things, and even some of the dialogues felt like a Marvel or DC movie or comic.
"Nightmare," said Smokescreen, with a subtle incline of his head. "It's been a while."
"You're about to wish it had been longer."
"Your days of villainy are over, Nightmare."
It wasn't entirely scene-breaking or frustrating. Sometimes, it actually fits the story. Other times though, I felt as if a comic book had been opened and copied line to line.


Characters:
It's funny that, with a lot of Marissa Meyer's books, I wish there had been a story on some of the side characters rather than the main characters. It's not that I hated Nova or Adrian, but they were generic Young Adult characters and it kind of bugged me.
Nova is our villain with tragic backstory but starts doubting everything she believes in when she infiltrates the Renegades.
Adrian is a charmer, but also a bit of a reckless guy who isn't sure about the way of the Renegades.
I wasn't too crazy about these two, but they carried the story line. Some of the side-characters though? I wanted to know more about Phobia, or Hugh Everhart and his husband, Simon Westwood. Also Ace Anarchy, I loved hearing about him.


Things I like:
  • It was full of action
  • Quite well-paced
  • The side characters
  • the ending took me by surprise

Things I don't like:
  • it didn't really feel like anything new
  • the main character
  • It felt very long
  • the characters are so oblivious to who the other person's "secret identity" is

Who I'd recommend it to:
If you liked The Lunar Chronicles, you will definitely like this too. If you like superhero stories and don't mind a little trope here and there, you'll enjoy this.


Rating:

Post a Comment

© The Bookish Hearth. Design by FCD.